XSLT and Foreign Namespace Attributes

Hello everyone,

I have been doing some work with XSLT, creating some specialized
applications by adding foreign namespace attributes.  For example,

<xsl:template xmlns:q="uri:someuri.org" q:access="public" match="/">
   <someElement />
</xsl:template>

In this case, the prefix q is associated with a non-null namespace
unknown to XSLT, but I need to tag the template in question with some
additional information: for example, public/private access.  According
to the XSLT spec, section 2.1, it seems to me that this is legal and
will be ignored by the engine.

This stylesheet works fine with MSXML and System.Xml, which is great
because my focus has been on Windows development to date.  I would like
to take this application, however, and run it on other platforms in the
near future.  What support for these types of attributes exists in other
tools, like Saxon?  For the record, all I am looking for is for the
engine to ignore them.

Thanks,
Chris Dix