Re: xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options (was Re: text/xsl...)

At 07:39 PM 6/24/2002, Sebastian wrote:
Er, I think I am out of my depth. I cannot see what the disagreement
is about, and I can't face trawling back to through the thread
to find out why Wendell cant just hack some Javascript.
Me too. I think we're talking about several things at once here.

For sure, I can go back and hack some Javascript -- and may well, once I've got my requirements clarified. :-> But like many, I'm weary and wary of having to write script whose portability is crippled at the time of authoring by the vagaries of various different browser implementations. For all its shortcomings, <?xml-stylesheet ?> does have its uses (as I think David has expressed nicely); and it's simple and a standard (more or less).

Like many others, I'd like to see some realization of the huge potentials of XML in the client. (I'm fully confident that when we do, one or more killer apps will quickly emerge, thereby motivating a new evolutionary leap. At the moment we're in a catch-22; no standard platform without the apps, no apps without the platform.) Actually I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to say "forget IE" (thereby forgetting, what, 80% of web users?), since my audience may well be such a niche that I can mandate a browser, Mozilla is almost up to the job, and I'm happier about its cleaner standards compliance. (I don't see going the other way since there is no way Mozilla can emulate some Windows-scripty ActiveXy thing; but if something were cool enough running in Moz. to catch on, there might be hope that it could become more broadly supported.)

So maybe I'll become an expert in scripting in Mozilla, and then I can tell Sebastian how he ought to be doing it. :->

Of course, if Mozilla were really up to the job I'd be even happier. I'd like to see Mozilla implement transforms in such a way that my XSLT could target a clean "miniFO" XML/CSS (some minimal XML just enough to hang the CSS on), instead of HTML. But that's *really* pipe dreaming I know. So back to divs and spans.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285