Re: xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options (was Re: text/xsl...)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 06:49:12PM -0400, Wendell Piez wrote:

> But ... earlier I offered the example of a reading version and a false
> color proof version side-by-side. In a Humanities context, a similar thing
> would be a clean reading version next to a "barbed wire" version showing
> where all the editorial emendations, or variora, were in a text. You do
> want to switch transparently between them and not lose your place.

so you have a web browser that knows where you are reading in a middle
of a length of text, do you? can I have a copy please, as it sounds
like a very valuable bit of software....

it doesn't add up, sorry. I simply wouldn't implement your requirement
like that.

> Maybe what I'm learning is that it's too rare a requirement to suppose
> there'd be much of a push for a standard way to do it.

I think I still believe that the precise requirement isn't defined.
You want to rerender the current document using an alternate stylesheet
(a pop-up menu created from all those listed using PIs in the doc?),#
which is fine - but you also now want to preserve context? suppose
stylesheet B does not include the bit of text you are reading on the
screen rendered by stylesheet A?

Someone tell me, by the way, why Mozilla does not use libxml/libxslt,
and get a 100% XSLT engine today, instead of the _nearly_ implementation
now supplied.....