RE: xsltproc (was Re: XSL-List Digest V4 #417)

> > Most popular XSLT processors are written in Java, Python, or Perl:
> > Saxon, Xalan, 4XSLT ... xsltproc is faster than them by a wide and
> > probably permanent margin.
>
> I don't want to get into a which is faster debate but this is
> really suspect.
> I benchmark processors as part of my job and under no
> circumstances have I
> found this to be true. I have found many of the Java
> processor are quicker
> than libxslt, including jd.xslt, Resin, Saxon and XT. Because
> of differences
> between JVM implementations the margin is different between
> Windows/Linux. In
> fact in a league table of  Windows processors libxslt comes
> in 6th out of 11.

If you are measuring a single-shot transformation executed from the
command line then of course the Java processors have a big disadvantage
because the Java VM takes 5 seconds or so to warm up. So as always,
different people will get different answers if they measure different
things.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com