[slightly OT] question about PAX and XPath

Hello, List,
I'm doing some programming using DOM methods to get info out of an xml document, and have been frustrated by the fact that, as far as I can tell, the only DOM methods that will accept XPaths as selectors are MS extensions, not standards (selectNodes, selectSingleNodes). (If I've got this wrong, would someone correct me, please?)

I found something on the w3c's site about a proposal called Pax ... it looks to me like it might be aiming to solve just the issue I'm having--but I'm not sure (I find the w3c docs notoriously hard to read), and I'm having trouble finding info about this proposal anywhere *else*.

Could someone tell me if I'm way off base guessing what Pax is supposed to do, and/or point me toward some non-w3c description of it? I'd love to know for sure what its goal is and expected time-to-recommendation ...

Thanks much,

Amanda Birmingham
Web Application Developer