Re: JDK14/JDOM: generating a DOCTYPE decl. in output?

David M. Karr wrote:

> By setting "omit-xml-declaration" to "no", I thought that would NOT omit the
> XML declaration.  That is, the XML declaration should have been there, right?
Not necessary if you are generating html.

> So far, I haven't been able to get it to generate one.
oops, I didn't see the subject, you probably use jaxp and somehow
override <xsl:output> instruction, which is only hint, as David pointed out.

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "special meta tag for html (which you
> suppressed ...".  Are you saying that if I used 'method="html"', it would
> automatically generate a "meta" tag?
It should. See http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#section-HTML-Output-Method:
"If there is a HEAD element, then the html output method should add a
META element immediately after the start-tag of the HEAD element
specifying the character encoding actually used."

>It is not doing that, if that's what
> you're saying.
Well, the same problem as with xml declaration - something overrides
your  <xsl:output> instruction.

>     Oleg> And why you don't get doctype declaration in the output I don't understand, probably it's a kind of bug.
>
> Well, yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
All these 3 problems are steming from a source you have to figure out.
Can you show us your java code and environment?
--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International, Israel