Re: script and xsl

Hi Alia,

> I got this msg in my XSL file (knowing that I'm using MSXML3 parser
> and IE5): Microsoft VBScript runtime error Object doesn't support
> this property or method: 'node.selectSingleNode'
>
> And this is my code:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
> xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
> xmlns:xslscript="http://mycompany.com/mynamespace";  version="1.0">
> <msxsl:script language="vbScript" implements-prefix="xslscript">
>    function calcul(node)
>      m=Node.selectSingleNode("Sales").text
>      n=node.selectSingleNode("UnitCost").text
>      calcul=m*n
>    end function
> </msxsl:script>
>
> And I'm calling it this way:
> <xsl:value-of select="xslscript:calcul(me) "/>

The problem that you're experiencing is because the argument to the
calcul function is a DOM NodeList, not a DOM Node. You can't pass
single nodes to extension functions because XPath doesn't have a
'node' as a data type, only node sets. You have to find the first node
in the node list to get the node for which you want to calculate the
value:

  function calcul(node)
    m = node.item(0).selectSingleNode("Sales").text
    n = node.item(0).selectSingleNode("UnitCost").text
    calcul = m*n
  end function

But again, there's no need to do this calculation through an extension
function, at least in this context. You could just use:

  <xsl:value-of select="me/Sales * me/UnitCost" />

There's usually a way to do these kinds of things using XPath or XSLT,
and it's a lot better to use those ways rather than creating your own
extension functions to handle them. First, it means that your
stylesheet can be used with processors other than MSXML. Second, it's
more efficient because the processor doesn't have to start up a
new VBScript environment in order to run the functions. If you can't
work out how to do something using XPath or XSLT, just ask and we
should be able to help - don't worry, we *will* tell you if your
problem can best be solved through an extension function :)

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison