Problem with netscape 6 and quotes in the output file

Dear Sirs,
we currently use a xml/xslt in IE5/MSXML3, currently we get this running  on
netscape.
In principle it work nice, but at one place we generate a htlm-link like
that:
        <a>
          <xsl:variable name="arg">javascript:edit("<xsl:value-of
select="@cn" />")</xsl:variable>
          <xsl:attribute name="href" >
            <xsl:value-of select='$arg' />
          </xsl:attribute >Edit Item
         </a>

On IE the result is a link like href=javascript:edit("something") .
On Netscape it comes out as href=javascript:edit(&quot;something&quot;)

I wouldn´t mind if the netscape would convert back the &quot; if the link is
activated, but it doesnt.
I also found no way to generate a direct " with netscape, probably because
it generates pure xml, and so it doesnt allow a quote in a attribute value.
I also tried   <xsl:output method="xml"/> and   <xsl:output method="html"/>
without effect.

Any ideas ?

 Carsten Bode