Using a variable to get the value of an element

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this...

I need the value of an element, but the name of that element is stored
in a variable - see below:

Where I say <xsl:apply-templates select="$hello" /> I actually want the
value of the element whose name is stored in the variable hello, not the
value of the variable.

<xsl:template match="thing">

<xsl:variable name="hello">
   officename1_<xsl:value-of select="$PageLang" />
</xsl:variable>

</xsl:template>

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

_Ben
Ben M. Skelton
Creative Director
Habanero Consulting Group
p. 604.709.6201 ext. 107
f. 604.709.6073
e. bskelton@habaneros.com
Visit our website -- http://www.habaneros.com
for our latest client success stories, white papers, presentations and
career opportunities.