Numbered references

In my document, I have a lot of figures like this:

<figure id="fig:one"> ... </figure>
<figure id="fig:two"> ... </figure>
<figure id="fig:three"> ... </figure>

They appear in different levels in the text, and the caption
is formatted with

<xsl:template match="figure">
</xsl:template>

after a similar example in XSLT specification. That is,
figures got numbered sequentially within a document.

It works. But my question is how do I generate the label (number)
in a cross-reference? In the text, I use

<figref id="fig:two/>

which I would like to translate to

	Fig. 2

in the output. But I cannot figure how to generate again the
number from outside the context provided by the element figure.
It is probably easy, but I just don't see how.

Thanks for any help,

Adriano