Re: merging documents/union

>I need to write a special kind of "union" template that merges two nodesets.
>The structure of these nodesets is not known.
>For example those two <node> elements should be merged to one <node> where
>the
>second overwrites the first:

Have you looked at
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker/XSLT/#merge
?

Its not exactly what you want, but might be a good place to start.

There is also a thread in the archive about inheritance, again not
exactly what you want, but might give you some ideas:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200103/msg01509.html

The key to success is being very clear what you mean by 'merge'.  You
mention that if the 'same' element occurs in both node-sets then one
takes precendence over the other: but is sameness based on just the
element name, or do attribute values count too?  Are the documents
ordered?  Is the process recursive (if the 'same' element occurs with
children, you might want to merge the children rather than take just
one set).

Regards,
Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@melvaig.co.uk