Re: create multiple documents

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:19:29AM -0400, Wendell Piez wrote:
> At 05:09 AM 10/19/01, Sebastian wrote:
>
> >we probably don't disagree much. but I do still claim that people use
> >multiple output files too often. I was forced to confront this myself
> >when setting up our web server to do XML->HTML on the fly, and I went
> >with a "go back to main XML document and get another section" system,
> >(rather than static multiple files), and I was surprised to find it
> >all works very happily
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if one could deliver several files to a browser to be
> cached together, so after looking at the first one sent down, others that
> go with it would be loaded and ready to go.... I guess this is a limitation
> of ... HTTP? (Is there any way to script this?)

well no. The limitation is on the server side it sounds. Just cache there
and serve as they are demanded. Shipping 5 megs of stuff over the network
"in the case" one would like to read them all sounds a really bad use
of a scarce resource.

> At present it's rather like ... buying a magazine at a newstand, and being
> handed one page at a time.

  I would rather buy only the interesting articles from the magazine
on a prorata of the total amount of pages and leave the adds on the
retailer desk ! The mechanism is so different anyway that the comparison
doesn't seem valid.

  Now there might be good reasons sometimes to package stuff together.
It's a shame that we don't have a complete packaging format (though I
suggest people checks the archives at
http://xml.openoffice.org/standardisation/ where we discussed practical
issues about building such a packaging format for Open Office). Work
on this seems stopped at W3C.

Daniel