Can you have a dummy XSL?

Can you have a XSL that does not do any text formatting or processing? I am
working on a web page and want to enforce a standard look and feel. Part of
this standard is a generic header title, left bar navigation and footer
information. Tables would be used to maintain this look and feel. The title,
left bar and footer will contain text, links and icons. These would all be
standard.

Note: Of course, it might be a good idea to have a XML file to contain the
standard content, but then the question is how do I use two XML files? I am
using Cocoon2 to perform the processing and I start by definine one XML and
one XSL file.

************ XSL STYLESHEET ASSIGNED TO MY XML FILE ***************

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

  <xsl:param name="view-source"/>

  <xsl:template match="page">
    <head>
     <title>
      <xsl:value-of select="pagetitle"/>
     </title>
    </head>
<xsl:include href="navigation.xsl"/></td>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>

************ MY DEVELOPMENT LEFT NAVIGATION ***************
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"