Re: bowser compatibility, xsl templates, html output, parser

On Friday, July 20, 2001 9:08 AM
Meltem Kogelbauer wrote:

> However, NS showed additional line breaks between the tables. At first
> instance it looks like an html problem.

This is indeed an html problem (or rather a Netscape problem, you don't
say which version but I'd bet 4.x) and it's come up here before in
various guises.

> In order to test it I took the
> generated html from the source view and saved as pure html. And, guess
what?
> NS is showing it perfectly fine. So html problem is ruled out.

That assumes that what is saved as what you call "pure html" are the
exact contents of the html in Netscape's buffer. That assumption isn't
necessarily valid. The only way to test this is to take the html output
straight from the XSLT processor, and compare it with your saved "pure
html". The difference(s) -- there must be some otherwise NS would render
them both files identically -- will indicate what it is in your
generated html the NS doesn't like. You then have to tweak your XSLT to
produce output that NS does like. If that breaks the IE5 rendering, you
need to make your XSLT client-sensitive. But until you can track down
the source of your problem in the html and specify precisely what html
you require as output to avoid this effect, there's no point in fiddling
with your XSLT.