Re: SAXON and special characters

To add to what David says:

At 04:37 AM 7/17/01, he wrote:
> > I'm looking for a list of any and all characters that throw errors when
> > the saxon processor runs into them.
> >
> > Does such a list exist and if so where can I view it?
>
>????
>
>Saxon doesn't read the any characters directly it (like all XSLT
>systems) uses an XML parser. The list of characters allowed in XML is
>rather large. No characters throw errors (otherwise, by definition, they
>are not characters) but some unicode code points do not correspond to
>characters, in particular all the ascii control range below position 32
>(space) except for 9 10 and 13.

All this is details in the XML Rec, which specifies which parts of Unicode
are good for what in XML (characters appearing in data, element name
characters, name start characters etc. etc.).

But the point that Saxon doesn't read the characters directly is key. The
XSLT processor could in theory be attached to any device that gave it
"XML", including some kind of "virtual XML" processor whose input would be
something completely different (even a different encoding) and which would
feed its "XML" (specifically it could be a SAX event stream or DOM tree) to
Saxon. What Saxon saw would not contain any disallowed characters such as
those David mentioned. The input, on the other hand....

So really you're looking for specs on the parser you're using, including
whether it can support any non-Unicode character sets. (I think Saxon's
default parser is AElfred, isn't it Mike? What is all this, are we going to
see Eadmund and Ethelred next?)

Cheers,
Wendell