Merging two documents

Hi.

I have two xml files which have the same structure (and the same DTD). Those two
files should be merged into one single xml file, so that the resulting file will
still be valid (according to the DTD).

I already checked the xsl archive and the FAQ on http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl, but I
didn't find a solution for my problem. My problem is, that I cannot identify the
elements by an id.

file1.xml
<root>
   <section1>
     <elem>
       <name>1</name>
       nested data for elem "1"
     </elem>
     <elem>
       <name>2</name>
       nested data for elem "2"
     </elem>
   </section1>
   <section2>
     <something-else>
       nested data 1
     </something-else>
   </section2>
</root>

file2.xml has the same structure. Here is just a very short example (usually,
file2.xml will also contain <section2>):
<root>
   <section1>
     <elem>
       <name>3</name>
       nested data for elem "3"
     </elem>
   </section1>
</root>

I need something like
   for-each file1/root/section1/elem
     copy to output
   for-each file2/root/section1/elem
     copy to output
   for-each file1/section2/something-else
     copy to output
   for-each file2/section2/something-else
     copy to output

How can I write that in XSL (and will this be a solution or are there any "smarter"
solutions)?

Martin