RE: SAXON limitation?

> Hello.  I am trying to run an XSL over a 7.5 MB XML file.  If
> I run the XSL
> over the whole thing using Instant SAXON, I get the following error:
>
>      Fatal error reported by XML parser: unsupported five or
> six byte UTF-8
> sequence(character code: 0x92)
> file:/C:/WINNT/Profiles/usscg041/Desktop/MSDS/text/test/today.xml
>        Line:   -1
>        Column: 4308708
>      Transform failed:  unsupported five or six byte UTF-8 sequence
> (character code:0x92)

This message almost invariably means that the XML file is not encoded in
UTF-8, but it lacks an XML declaration, so AElfred has assumed that it is in
UTF-8.

The 0x92 suggests to me that the file might be in the Windows CP1250
character code.

(The incorrect line and column number also tends to be a consequence of
AElfred attempting to use the wrong decoding).

Mike Kay
Software AG