Xalan question: XML to String

Hi,

Sorry this is a bit specific (poss. off topic?), but I am at a bit of a
loss.

Is there any way that you can get Xalan/Xerces to give you a nice simple
indented view of the DOM tree in a String?

I tried the XMLSerializer, but unfrotunately it makes a bit of a mess of
anythign even approaching large:

"For elements that are not specified as whitespace preserving, the
serializer will potentially break long text lines at space boundaries,
indent lines, and serialize elements on separate lines. Line terminators
will be regarded as spaces, and spaces at beginning of line will be
stripped. "

Which basically, as far as I read it, means "We reserve the right to ruin
all of your formatting"

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks

Nick