RE: xml to html paragraphing

David Carlisle [davidc@nag.co.uk] said:

> You could probably just have used the
> disable-output-encoding attribute
> in XSLT to save using javascript, but this is
> only a last resort when it
> isn't possible to fix the source not to
> have CDATA sections.

I am fetching the user-submitted HTML for display on a web page.  The XSLT
is generating surrounding elements (e.g., a navigation bar) in addition to
the user HTML.  I have no guarantee that the user entered well-formed HTML,
and I don't trust Microsoft's DOM.  I'd rather have a forgiving-browser
display poorly-formed HTML, than have the entire XSL sheet abort and lose
the page.

Of course, the JavaScript hack isn't exactly the fastest possible approach
-- lots of string processing depending on the technique.  And it's probably
dependent on Internet Explorer (ulg).  Worse comes to worse, I could always
generate the HTML at the server (e.g., in ASP or JSP) and submit it directly
to the HTTP stream.  But for some reason I like the pure-XSLT approach with
the web server only acting as a document server.

Thanks for the reply.