Re: ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> I hope I am not too heavily biased by the RDBMS vendor I was working for
> at that time, but I remember many constraints such as cursors being
> considered as static variables that had a huge impact on the programming
> style that did not exist when you were using the native APIs that where
> roughly similar to ODBC or JDBC.

Oh yea!  I completely agree that Embedded SQL in C was a nightmare
of a language.  And in general, I prefer component based mechanisms
through a clean API abstrction layer instead  -- which is what I
feel is needed with XSLT (and you mention this below).

> The basic problem of embedding a language into another is the mixing
> of instructions with different scopes...

Neat point.  I've never thought of it that way!

> To come back to to XSLT embedding XSLT within a general purpose language
> would be as bad an idea as embedding the general language within XSLT

Well, I personally agree with this, but I didn't want to
preclude this as I know there are people out there that
love embeding one language within another.

I concede that the first point was poorly worded.
I was trying to say "just don't embedd X language in XSL",
not "please embeed XSL in language X".   My bad.
Perhaps this should be listed as another 'bug in
the proposal.

Clark