Re: XSLT 1.1 comments

: | This is actually an interesting point. Is it  a viable option, then,to
: | define the Java bindings as escapes into XSLT
:
: Isn't this what the JAXP 1.1 "TRAX" effort did?
:
: The DOM group is looking at an XPath API as well.

In my mind JAXP is similar to the JDBC in its Java-centric perspective. I
was wondering about coming up with something similar to SQLJ, which is a
higher level framework defined to be SQL-centric when appropriate.

The closest thing I can think of for XSLT would be JSP (piped into
JAXP). One could use JSP to define XSLT stylesheets with some dynamic data
in them, such as <xsl:value-of select="<%= System:CurrentTimeMillis() %>"/>

I suppose if we make these escapes context-dependent, it doesn't much
matter whether we write <%...%> or <xsl:script>...</xsl:script> except
that in the first case it's much more obvious that the stylesheet is not
very portable...

: | I guess you didn't buy into Oracle's "Java in the database"
: propaganda?
:
: In Oracle, before you can use Java in SQL, you actually
: create a SQL-flavored interface for your static Java implementation
: class methods so to the rest of the database your Java code
: looks indistinguishable from a normal PL/SQL stored function
: or stored procedure.

Ok, that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, I must've forgotten a
smiley. I'm actually somewhat familiar with Oracle's Java Stored Procedures
(not to be confused with JSP :), I think they behave a lot like XSLT
extension functions.

- Eugene