RE: xsl problem

Manisha, you have completely misunderstood the way variables work in XSLT.
XSLT isn't a procedural language and you are trying to use it as if it was.
I'd recommend you get hold of my "XSLT Programmer's Reference" and read
chapter 8.

Because the language isn't sequential, you can't set a variable to the value
of the current node and then use it "later" to test whether the next node
has the same value. Instead you need a construct like <xsl:if
test=".=preceding-sibling::*[1]">.

Your problem is a grouping problem and you can find solutions on
www.jenitennison.com

Mike Kay