Xerces and Unicode

This has probably been answered before, but I can't find it.  When I run
Xerces on XML that has Unicode characters beyond the Basic Latin ones, I get
question marks when I try and print them out, and Xalan dies when I try to
run it on the output.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Kerry Frey
Mobile Computing Consultant
Digital Business Division
Noblestar Systems Corporation