Re: Visual editing

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:43:31 +0200, Matthias Häußer <haeusser@debis.com> wrote:

> > We have begun writing an XML editor for KDE which will (hopefully) be
> > extended to support drag-and drop type editing of XSL/XSLT stylesheets too.
> >
> > Are there any things that
> >    you would like to see in an editor,
> >    you think are great in the one you use,
> >    or really irritate you?
>
> First of all, I suppose the editor will be free?
> I would like to see:
>
> - IDE-like completion of commands, i.e. a small window popping up when I
> type
>   <xsl:
>   with all possible completions
>
> - a hotkey to close the most recently opened element
>
> - no need to use the mouse

This sounds awfully close to the PSGML mode in (X)emacs.

> - on-the-fly syntax-checking (similar to M$ Word's spell-checking)

The flyspell mode for (X)emacs does this very nicely.

Check out one of the emacs variants at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
http://www.xemacs.org/

Both of them run just fine on all the major Unix variants and on Windows. I
believe MacOS version should be also available.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>