Re: Paul T vs FO

----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>

> > people can produce some useful set of formatting objects *much* faster
> > than it takes W3C to do that.

> and yet the fact remains that they haven't done so. fine words butter
> no parsnips, as my mother used to say.

Should I explain why this have not happen yet? I think it is
obvious why. XML is not really used in the current world.
Surprize? Oh, please ....

>  > I'm sure that 'alternative XSL FO' will
>  > gonna happen *anyway*, no matter what will be the progress
>  > in XSL FO WG. Time will expalin why  I'm making this statement.
>
> Your argument is predicated on the arrival of a Linus on the
> scene. That might happen tomorrow, it might happen in 5 years, you
> can't predict. There is, of course, a lot more to LinusFO than
> technical correctness!

Of course, not. ( And I'm sure you know that ).
I'm predicting that because of technical issues only.
Current XSL FO is not addressing some of domains ( and will
never address ). To start addressing those 'some' domains, another
set of FO should be created.  I can not explain this  in more
detail. I'm tired of problems, so I'l not explain.

Time is not here because XML is not here. When XML will
be here - Linus will be here. I don't know how long it will
take to get XML here. Given with the current speed - I think
5-10 years is reasonable estimation.

If I be a student I'll write another model of XSL FO right now.
This is a nice task for person who has plenty of time to waste
for fun, line Linux was. Why this is 'for fun' - I think I already
explained why.

You can pick TeX model, you can pick some other existing model,
you can concentrate on simplicity or you can concentrate on multiple
media e t.c.  Exactly how Linus started with Linux.

Thank you for posting the thread with nice subject, but I'm not
gonna participate in this thread, sorry. If you want to discuss
some more details - you can use mail for that.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. I think I'll cry when I see that man from the nearest
cubicle producing *XSL FOs* with  *XSLT*. The good thing
is that this will not gonna happen ever. Those who think this
will gonna happen - those utopists should re-read the
XSL FO specs once again  ;-)  And again. And again. ;-)