Re: where to put the filter?

At 10:43 AM 10/04/2000 -0500, Keith wrote:
>...When I call the transformXML() function after the alerts the page comes
>back blank. I am placing this strFilter in the <filter></filter> tags when
>the SOAP request is sent. I am sure it's because I am placing the
><xsl:apply-templates select="filter"/>, <xsl:template  match
>select="filter">,<xsl:value-of select="filter"> in the wrong place. I can't
>find any documentation on this at all.  They all give the syntax for
>building a filter, but not on where to place it.

Not sure if this will help or not....

An xsl:template is always a top-level element, i.e. a child of the
xsl:stylesheet element. xsl:apply-templates sends the XSLT processor off on
a hunt for template rules (explicit or built-in) for children of the
context node established by the <xsl:template match="..."> pattern;
assuming it finds any such template rules, the processor handles them at
that point in the containing template. xsl:value-of inserts *content* from
the source doc into a template, so it too is a descendant of xsl:template.

So given a source document like this:

   <rootelem title="MyRoot">
     <childelem>child1</childelem>
     <childelem>child2<grandchildelem>grandkid</grandchildelem></childelem>
   </rootelem>

you might have a template rule like this:

   <xsl:template match="/rootelem">
     <newrootelem>
       <xsl:value-of select="@title"/>
       <xsl:apply-templates />
     </newrootelem>
   </xsl:template>

See? xsl:template contains both xsl:value-of and xsl:apply-templates. The
result tree will contain:

   <newrootelem>
     MyRoot
     child1 child2 grandkid
   </newrootelem>

[Now comes the part where Evan jumps in and qualifies all the above. :)]