EMP.XML & Diff between XSL w3.org/TR/WD-xsl & w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform

I was trying to open the sample in Steve's book
using IE5.5 & Netscape 6 PR2 and noticed a problem of displaying the Table of Emp.xml using the Emp.xsl stylesheet
Both of them failed to open it.
However, I had my own XML file that I could open.
When drilling I found the namespace is an issue.
I am not able to identify the difference between these two. If somebody could explain what makes the difference it could be great
<PRE>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">
</PRE>

Thanks in Advance