RE: MSXML Whitespace handling

> The spec explicitly does not specify that the XSLT processor must
construct
> the tree.  Furthermore, the input tree may have gone through any number of
> transformations before reaching the XSLT processor.  In the MSXML case,
the
> tree is actually constructed by the MS DOM implementation, in accordance
> with XML 1.0 rules.  These rules state that in the absence of
> any in-scope xml:space="preserve" elements, the whitespace processing
rules are
> application dependent.

I think this is a little disingenious. On any reasonable interpretation, the
"application" here is XSLT, so in the absence of xml:space="preserve" the
whitespace rules should be those defined by XSLT.

I accept the argument that it is legitimate to allow the user to mangle the
tree before passing it to XSLT, but it seems wrong to mangle it by default.

Mike Kay