Substring (pattern?) matching and reformatting

Hi,

Some of my XSL elements contain URLs.  I need to find these within the
string, and format them in HTML as links.  So, if my XML looks like this:

<xmlElement>the element has a string containing a url, http://www.acme.com
in the middle</xmlElement>

I will need to produce the following HTML:
href="http://www.acme.com">http://www.acme.com</a>
 in the middle</P>

I do not know which XML elements these will appear in, where they will
appear in the string, or what they will be (although I can assume they will
start with http:// ). The problem is therefore to identify the substring
which represents the url, and then to insert the HTML link around it.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance,

Giles Smith