RE: xsl self-documentation - trace

> >What is it you desire, that you cannot have with present means?
>

> How about including 50 lines of 'trace', then, when its all working,
> being able to leave the debug code in, but not operating?
> #if defined type of thing?

Something along the lines of

<xsl:param name="debug" select="f"/>

<xsl:if test="debug='t'">
  <xsl:message>*****</xsl:message>
</xsl:if>

embedded appropriately in your code?  Ugly, I know, but standard :-)
The various processors may have non-standard extensions to report the location in the input.

> I don't see much difference between debugging XSLT and
> any other language?

Not when working with printouts.  A debugger is most likely a bit off.

Wonder, though.  How easy would it be to interface e.g. Saxon to the debugger interface in Emacs?  That would be a step in the right direction.

> There was a 'debug' app announced some months ago,
> but I never persuaded it to work. It may be in the archives,
> but I can't remember its name.

I would like seeing it.  Any one have a hint?

--
  Thorbjørn