what if use of up-to-date xslt processor not an option?

Mike, thanks for replying to my last post.

Let me start this one off by saying that I am confused between
xml parsers and xslt processors. Which one is MSXML?

I am using an application that I believe uses either the same or
something similar to the MSXML that ships with IE5. This application
contains sample xsl, all of which start with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">

When I use this, I can create html tables. However, I can't use
something like:
  <TD>
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test=". = 'Transaction_Type'">
        Transaction Type
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:value-of />
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </TD>

I get:   Expected token 'eof' found '='. . -->=<-- 'Transaction_Type'

Now, if I change
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

... I find that my text Transaction_Type does change to
Transaction Type but I don't get my table. Instead I receive what I
think is called the literal result- basically the text of the elements.

I've been reading an XML Namespaces FAQ, and I thought I might be able
to work around my problem by having in my xsl:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"
xmlns:trans="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

Then I rewrote my choose condition like this:
  <TD>
    <trans:choose>
      <trans:when test=". = 'Transaction_Type'">
        Transaction Type
      </trans:when>
      <trans:otherwise>
        <xsl:value-of />
      </trans:otherwise>
    </trans:choose>
  </TD>

But now my table cells contain both the text Transaction Type
(notice without the underscore, which is what I want) AND the text
that results from <xsl:value-of />.

I hope I have been clear in trying to explain my problem.
Can someone give any suggestions on how I can get my tables AND
change my text?

Thanks,
-alex