Re: Xpointer and Axes question.

> to make anything work which deals with "axis::node-test[predicate]"
> location step.  Everytime I try to use "::" operation, nothing works.

:: is not an operation, it is part of the syntax for identifying an axis.

> Can anyone shed some light on this?  Do I need to install something to
> make this work.
>
> Environment:
> IE5,

You need to install something other than the version of MSXML that IE 5
utilizes, if you want to be able to fully use XPath 1.0 expressions.

You have two options:

 1. Use an up-to-date XSLT 1.0 processor like Saxon (to name just one).
    If you are a beginner I would recommend getting Instant Saxon.
    You run it from the command line.

 2. Update your MSXML to the latest preview release available from
    msdn.microsoft.com. After installing it, run 'xmlinst' in your
    Windows system directory so that IE will use it. Even the latest
    preview release of MSXML is not a complete XSLT 1.0 implementation,
    however. Only do this if you have a real need to do browser-side
    transformations.

If you want to use XPointer, I believe you are out of luck.
I don't think any version of MSXML nor any other XSLT processor
implements XPointer.

   - Mike