Re: feature request

Don R. Day writes:
 > > <foo img="testimg.gif" notation="gif"/>
 >
 > Sebastian, your example provides the processing system with no
 > information about the characteristics of the non-XML data, should it
 > need to be transformed prior to use.
surely

mime-type="image/gif"

would provide what you need?

 > part of the publishing process (say, gif-to-eps for dropping into a
 > print job).
I hope no-one would ever do this :-}

 > are appreciated in SGML systems.  What you can do with NDATA entities is
 > limited by this less expressive processing model.  And although you can
 > encode such metadata right at the point of reference, this causes the
 > information about an illustration to exist in more than one place,
 > increasing maintenance.

where is the second place it is maintained? I would put in my archival
XML file the location of the archival version of the image:

<foo img="testimg.1" mime="application/postscript"/>

I do not need to record any more information anywhere, do I? this
would let my processing application do something sensible always?

I do stress that I am not *advocating* all this for real. But if
notations vanished tomorrow, the world would not come to an end, any
more than it has because inclusions and exclusions sank beneath the waves.

sebastian