Re: Creating an xml doc from another xml doc via xsl

| I tried the select query you posted, but I'm not sure I understand what
| it is doing.  How can I get the at the data returned from this query via
| a ResultSet in Java as, from the example output you showed, its not
| flat, but hierarchical (which is good, I'm just unsure how to reap the
| rewards).

Instead of calling getString(1) like you would do get the 1st column as
as string value, you call:

  getCursor(1)

which gets the column as a JDBC ResultSet. The CURSOR() operator
creates a column value that *itself* is a (nested) result set.

| I am at this moment searching for documentation for that as well.

See...

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76989/express2.htm#1002628

and search for "Cursor expressions" heading.

| Is this query returning xml or a typical result or something else?

The *query* returns a result set of rows each of which has two scalar
column values and one result-set column value. The XML SQL Utility
being used under the covers by the XSQL Page Processor is doing
the ResultSet-to->XML work for you.

| Do I need to use your XSQL pages?

No. XSQL Pages just make tying SQL, XML, and XSLT together very easy
instead of writing code to do it. If you find yourself writing
your 20th Java program to:

   -> Produce XML from SQL Query results
   -> Transform the results using XSLT

then you'll appreciate the work you can do declaratively with
XSQL Pages, but it's clearly not necessary since the XSQL Page Processor
is built on top of the other lower-level Oracle XML Developer's Kit
components like the Oracle XML Parser, Oracle XSLT Processor, and
the Oracle XML SQL Utility.

| Is there a class I can include so I can manipulate this data within
| my own servlets?

Sure. Download the Oracle XML SQL Utility from our
technet.oracle.com/tech/xml homepage, and use the
OracleXMLQuery class. It works against any JDBC driver.
Against Oracle8i it handles every supported datatype and
database feature (object views, materialize views, etc.).

   OracleXMLQuery oxq = new OracleXMLQuery(yourConnection, yourSQL);
   Document d = oxq.getXMLDOM(); // to return results as a DOM tree or
   String   s = oxq.getXMLString(); // to return results as XML "text"

| Do I need to use Oracle's xsl/xml parsers or can I stick with
| xalan/xerces from Apache?

The internals of the OracleXMLQuery class leverage the
Oracle XML Parser's DOM implementation, but if Xalan can
work with a DOM Document, then you can continue to use Xalan.