Mixed content variation

How does one identify the text node and some child nodes but not other child
nodes of an element with mixed content?  I cannot formulate an expression
that works or find one in any FAQ.

Here's the situation:
<foo> is an element with mixed content.

It may contain text and/or any number of child elements such as <bar>,

Text and children may appear in any sequence except that when <date> is
present, it is always last.

Examples

<foo>some text
<bar>some different kind of text</bar>
</foo>

<foo>
<bob>blah, blah, blah</bob>
<date>1975</date>
</foo>

Objective:

1.  Select the text node and all child nodes of <foo> except for the <date>
child

2.  if  <date>  is present, then

3.  insert a comma and a space with <xsl:text>

4.  select the child <date>

This would result in something like

Galley proofs of The Great Gatsby, 1932.

Numbers 2, 3, and 4 are easy.   Number 1 has me stumped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael

Michael Fox
Acting Assistant Director for Library and Archives
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul MN 55102-1906
phone: 651-296-1014