Re: XML+XSL= XML only?

"Nadig, Balu S" <bnadig@lehman.com> writes:

> Yesterday, the XML/XSL course instructor 'kind of" indicated XML+XSL was
> 'intended' to produce XML only. I just wanted to know the views of the
> 'learned' ones in this community. Thus, XML+ XSL= XML only?

XSL is best suited for producing XML (or anything that is still well
formed xml, like XHTML), but you can select different output modes,
e.q text, html, xml. The html mode knows for example, that if you put
a <br/> into your result tree (note the / at the end to have it well
formed) that the final output should only result in a simple

To output really arbitrary data can be very cumbersome with XSL,
though, but still it's possible.

But I have also the impression that the transforming from xml to xml
is the "intended" use of the XSL Transforming language.

        jtl