Re: how to select part of the tree?

"K. Ari Krupnikov" wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm trying to select some of the nodes in an XML document, but I keep
> getting the whole tree. How do I make sure only <make> and <model> nodes
> in this example are returned?

<snip />

> <b>Mazda</b>
> <i>Miata</i>
> 1990
>         Konstantin Krupnikov
>         ari@iln.net

The other text is popping up because of the built-in template
for text() nodes (section 5.8 of the spec) which copies them
through.

If you add the following to your stylesheet, the built-in
template will be overridden:

<xsl:template match="text()" />

The alternative is to specify the full path to the important
nodes in your root template, causing all other data to be
ignored. For example:

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates
    select="vehicles/vehicle/make | vehicles/vehicle/model" />
</xsl:template>

Hope this helps.

--
Warren Hedley