RE: differences

> Perhaps a downside [of Saxon] (or strength,
> depending on your view) is that it has a single author who
> does it for "fun".[1]
> [1] I assume. I hope I don't misrepresent Michael.

Well, it's not the word I used in persuading ICL to allow me to spend time
on it, but it's not that far from the truth, in the sense that if I get run
over by a bus or decide to devote myself full time to playing croquet,
development will certainly come to an abrupt stop. The only protection users
have against that risk is that I do publish the source code. Several people
have demonstrated that it is possible to fix bugs in the code without my
involvement.

To be honest, I see myself in the role of pace-setter. Sooner or later
someone with greater resources will overtake me and that time I will retire
gracefully from the race. Hopefully I will have succeeded in defining
standards of conformance, performance, functionality, and indeed price, that
others must match to stay in the game. In fact, if there is a business
strategy to this at all, it hinges on the idea of demonstrating to our
software product suppliers that they cannot dictate their own terms: open
source is a viable alternative.

Mike Kay