RE: That unwanted white space in HTML output

> I believe a clause should be included in a future version of
> the XSLT spec:
> "When emitting a result tree as HTML, whitespace should never be added
> inside inline elements."

Thanks. I'm torn; at the same time I'm being told people really like the
indenting and that it's really hard to get it right!

I'm trying now to do it now by adding whitespace before start and end tags
and before newlines in text with the proviso that I never add whitespace
immediately before or after an inline element tag and I never change the
text in PRE or SCRIPT elements. Seems to work OK, for English browsers
anyway! And you can always switch it off.

For saxon:output I've also implemented the ability to say indent="2" to
control the number of spaces. Can't do it for xsl:output, it would break the
conformance rules.

Mike Kay