user-space tracing on Debian... or..?

Hi,

So for the last days I have been trying to get user-space tracing working on
Debian.
The first problem was that utrace is not supported, so we tried to compile a
custom kernel with uprobes support.
This worked, however, process probes are not supported.

To my understanding these are a fundamental part of user-space tracing...
(if not, please explain how I can avoid using them :) )

So it seems that user-space tracing is not supported on Debian.. what do you
advise?
We tried the latest Fedora core but  as this uses uprobes as well, the same
problem arises.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, CP