RE: error to run systemtap in an ARM platform

Hi,

We are making quite good use of systemtap here at TI and try to expand to more teams internally. We use it both through cross and native compilation. We have leveraged mostly v1.3 but we are planning to move to v1.5

- for your "probe syscalls.*" issue, I can tell it was working with v1.3 (we use sometimes syscalls_by_pid.stp example) with some instability at execution in few cases. Since then, sycalls.stp and syscalls2.stp have evolved and contain some architecture specific code. If you can't port it (which shall be the way to go), you can try to revert the commits. OK, not clean but a way to move forward if you really need this.

- http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/SystemtapOnFedoraArm mentions http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap, which corresponds to our experiments on Android, i.e. cross-compilation. Still fedora page is very complet and probably suits you best, use OMAP page as a complement

- https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/systemtap is also interesting in its short intro to systemtap and what we require in terms of debug symbols, kernel config... in context of Linaro (i.e. ARM). Some thoughts also about timestamping events and a list of issues discovered when running testsuite on v1.3 (you can see it in mail archive, look for my e-mail)

We don't have a huge community yet on ARM but most of the people whom we show the tool (even customers) recognize the benefits of it and somehow leverage it

Regards
Fred

Frederic Turgis
OMAP Platform Business Unit - OMAP System Engineering - Platform Enablement

Texas Instruments France SA, 821 Avenue Jack Kilby, 06270 Villeneuve Loubet. 036 420 040 R.C.S Antibes. Capital de EUR 753.920