Re: Fwd: probing user space function on Ubuntu

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:49:18PM +0000, Conoscenza Silente wrote:
> I am completely new to systemtap. I work with Ubuntu 10.10
> I would like to probe functions in my application so user-space probing.
>
> I created the following "test.stp" file run using "stap test.stp" and
> I am returned the following error.
>
> " - semantic error: process probes not available without kernel
> CONFIG_UTRACE while
> resolving probe point process("/home/me/appName").function("main")? -"
>
> I goggle it and I need to have utrace in kernel? in place.
> Do you know how to get it and IF it is possible to have that in Ubuntu?
> Was anyone successful?

You need to rebuild your kernel with the utrace patch. The utrace patch
is available from http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/ but I am not
sure whether it applies cleanly to a regular Ubuntu kernel. Details on
how to rebuild an Ubuntu kernel can probably be found in the Ubuntu
documentation.

It looks like this is not covered in the Ubuntu page of the SystemTap
wiki. If you build an Ubuntu kernel including the utrace patch you are
very welcome to document the process at http://www.sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/SystemtapOnUbuntu
so the next person to ask can benefit from it :)