Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04

On 05/27/2010 07:19 AM, gkosteva@comcast.net wrote:
> Frank, a little elaboration here would be helpful!  You write:
>
> "stap needs to be natively compiled on the development host where the arm
> platform's kernel etc. were built."

There are two components to consider for systemtap.

The runtime, with bin/staprun and libexec/systemtap/stapio, needs to be
built as native arm executables for the target machine.  It sounds like
you've accomplished this already.

The translator, with bin/stap and share/systemtap/* and all, needs to
run in an environment that is able to build the kernel and kernel
modules for the arm target.  Since the development host is usually some
other architecture, probably x86, then the stap binary needs to be built
for x86 and then used with -a and -B to cross-compile.

So, you'll need two separate configure+builds, once to get the runtime
for arm, and once to get the translator for the development host.

> This step is not described in http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap at
> least its not obvious to me what the step is to compile stap.

I hope my description helps you understand how the pieces need to fit
together.

Cross-compilation hasn't seen much focus from our core development team
-- the page you're referencing was written by the OMAP folks.  It's a
wiki, so I'm sure the authors would welcome your help in clarifying the
instructions.  We would also welcome help to improve the core
documentation in this respect.

Thanks,

Josh