From: "Rayson Ho" <raysonlogin@gmail.com>
To: gkosteva@comcast.net
Cc: systemtap@sourceware.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:56:40 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM wrote:
> Hi Rayson,
> Well I got a little further !!! Â(thanks for the info)

Great!

And looks like you didn't cc the list, so Glenn & others didn't get the message.

> I extracted elfutils to /elfutils-0.146 and then
> I ran the commands below and now get a different set of errors:
>
> I have attached the config.log file which contains the following errors:
>
> configure:4245: gcc -E Âconftest.c
> conftest.c:10:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h. Â*/
> conftest.c:10:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
>
> configure:7023: checking for /usr/include/nss3
> configure:7029: error: cannot check for file existence when cross compiling

The first few errors related to "No such file or directory" should be
OK -- as long as configure was not stopped by them. Configure needs to
do a lot of trial and error compilations to test the configurations of
the compile environment.

The real concern is "cannot check for file existence when cross
compiling", but if you google that message (a trick that is always
useful -- grab the error message and google it!), you will find that
it is a very common problem in cross compile environments. Some people
fix this by commenting out the check, or provide the value in the
config.cache file.

If you open the configure script in a text editor, you can do a bit of
hacking to customize it for your cross-compile environment.

Rayson