Re: kernel summit session on systemtap

Theodore Tso wrote:
I spent about a couple of hours trying to get kdump to work on my
laptop, and then gave up.  That's another RAS tool which has mostly
ignored by the kernel development community, and deployability and
usability has been one of its problems...

Never had a problem with kdump, so your comment surprises me. Have you documented your issues?

I admit that this is extreme debugging, but if system tap won't even operate without a ton of extra junk present then I see its application as being very limited indeed. Not everyone will want to work at the assembler level, but if System Tap can, then tools can be built that do code analysis to help generate and divine probepoints. Much can be done knowing that nearly 100% of the code we probe is generated by the one tool - gcc. In theory, what is generated is deterministic, or the reverse engineering of it is.

My guess is that right now, the level 3 debugging experts at places like Red Hat, IBM, Novell, etc., are the only people who find SystemTap useful. The quick survey done at the kernel summit pretty conclusively showed that most kernel developers haven't tried to use it, ....

Why should you expect this (or kdump) to be solely for kernel developers? Its for debuggers, which may or may not be the same set of folks. And those who concern themselves with complex live scenarios are often not the same folks - at least not willingly so. This tired old view that stipulates all that goes on in a kernel is for an exclusive clique of kernel developers is a nonsense.

Richard

-- Richard J Moore Tel: (44) 1962-817072 Unless stated otherwise above: IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number 741598. Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6 3AU