Re: initial suggestions re. compiler server (bug #6565)

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 01:40:25PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Hi Frank,

> (Background: we're prototyping a compile server split of stap, to
> allow a central network server to perform arbitrary script translation
> and compilation for a machine without local debuginfo nor compiler.
> It'll be useful later for unprivileged user-space probing too.  Some
> prototype code is in bug #6565.)

Does this entail distro install changes too?

Currently SystemTap is installed only if "Development" is chosen. With
the server split (in fact, with pre-built modules and staprun support),
one technically doesn't need to have development libraries and/or
kernel-devel, etc., packages on the machine without debuginfo/compiler.

It'd therefore be neat if SystemTap gets installed by default as part of
the base/default install.

Ananth