Re: Online documentation and version differences

One week ago I posted this concern regarding the accuracy of the language reference and have received no responses so far. Did it not make it to the list? I'd like others opinions on how to keep the language reference accurate for multiple versions.

Mike

Mike Mason wrote:
Currently, the online documentation (man pages, language reference) reflects the current SystemTap source (at least that's the goal). However, the various distros have different SystemTap functionality, depending on what snapshot they used. The core is the same, but some details are different. When we send users to the online documentation, it sometimes does not reflect the version they're using.

What, if anything, should we do about this? We can certainly refer them to they're installed man pages as opposed to the online version, but there is only one version of the language reference. It would be next to impossible to track features by distro version in the online reference. However, if we packaged the reference in the SystemTap rpm, it would theoretically match the features at the time the snapshot was taken. We could then tell users to refer to the language reference installed on their system instead of the online version.

Thoughts?

Mike