Re: elfutils offline mode for user-space?

roland wrote:

> [...]  I see this as just another element of the general "figure out
> which files to look at" problem.  There just isn't any clear and
> satisfying means to glean it statically.

It is likely sufficient to identify all the *candidates* statically.
Like we currently parse /sys/modules/* for actual kernel section
addresses at startup time, we can parse /proc/FOO/maps to identify the
actuals at startup too.

> This gets back to the whole question of what the plan is for the
> model of specifying user-space probe locations.  It's not just about
> the right list of loaded files.

The basics would be identifying executables or libraries, and naming
functions/statements defined therein, as before.  A reference to an
unlisted shared library could be made probe-able later.

> I can spin you a whole rant about DWARF names and symbol versioning.
> But all this belongs on the public mailing lists. [...]

Fire away.