Re: Systemtap with no root required

David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> writes:

> Here's the latest on being able to run systemtap without root
> privileges required.

Thanks!

> Here's a description of the current plan.  There are 2 linux groups
> (feel free to suggest better names):
>
> "stapdev" - Systemtap developer, who can do anything with systemtap

This corresponds to the sudo empowerment whose support was removed as
a part of this patch.  (One can still run "sudo stap ...", and the
code treats one as an stapdev.)

> I've attached a compressed patch which implements the above.  [...]

It'd be almost easier to see the code in situ.  Have you been
developing on a CVS branch?  It's not too late!

> Anyone got any thoughts or comments?

On a first can, there seem to be a few odd bits in there.  I'll go
through it again once I have patched files (on a branch?) rather than
the diffs.