Re: Linux kernel marker questions

David,

Is there enough marker support in CVS now that we can write scripts against it? I tried using the latest CVS against a kernel with a few markers, but I'm seeing errors.

Here's the script:

global sem_up_cnt
probe kernel.mark("sem_up") { sem_up_cnt++ }
probe end { printf("sem_up_cnt = %d\n", sem_up_cnt)}

Here's the marker I'm trying to access in __up() in semaphore-sleepers.c:

MARK(sem_down, "%ul", (unsigned long) sem);

Here are the errors I'm seeing:

semantic error: bad __markers_string section?
semantic error: no match for probe point while resolving probe point kernel.mark("sem_up")

Should this work yet?

Thanks,
Mike

David Smith wrote:
Mathieu,

I've just finished checking in initial support for your new kernel markers into systemtap. I've got some rough edges to work on, but in general it works.

As I implemented the marker support, I come up with several questions I'd like some help/clarification with.

1) According to Documentation/marker.txt, the marker name (subsystem_event) is "is an identifier unique to your event".

Am I correct that unique marker names are not strictly enforced but "uniqueness" is more of a convention?

_marker_set_probe() seems to support the view that marker names aren't unique since it doesn't stop looking for more marker matches once it finds a match.

One problem this creates for systemtap is that systemtap's probe syntax looks like 'kernel.mark("marker_name")' and 'module("module_name").mark('marker_name'). I believe with the current code if a marker exists with the same name, format string, and flags in the kernel and a loadable module there isn't any way to only enable the marker in one place or the other - you can only enable both markers (assuming the module is loaded). Am I correct?

2) _marker_set_probe() expects the marker name, format string, and flags that were specified when the marker was inserted. If marker names were truly unique, I would really only need the marker name to enable a marker.

Since systemtap can compile modules for a kernel that isn't running, I can't really use marker_list_probe() for getting a list of markers present (even if the output of marker_list_probe() was more than just printks). So, currently to get a list of markers for a particular kernel, the code reads and parses the kernel/module '__markers_strings' elf section, which gets systemtap the marker names and format strings. (Getting the marker flags out of a kernel/module elf file is possible, but won't be easy.)

Currently systemtap can only enable markers that used the MF_DEFAULT set of flags.

Have you got any ideas on how systemtap (or any other program) can get a list of all the data _marker_set_probe needs?

3) From systemtap's point of view, _marker_set_probe() doesn't return enough error information. Currently it just returns the number of probes enabled. If _marker_set_probe returns a 0 (meaning no markers were enabled), I don't know which of the following that means:

- the marker name wasn't found
- the marker name was found, but format string didn't match the compiled format string
- the marker name was found and the format strings matched, but the marker flags didn't match the compiled marker flags
- the marker is already enabled (since markers can only have one function attached to them at a time)

Would there be any way of getting more detailed error information?

Thanks for the help.